←
→
bzedan: (yo)
Add MemoryShare This Entry
posted by [personal profile] bzedan at 12:34am on 26/09/2026 under ,

I’m writing something. I’ve been writing something—and not in the way where like, I’m always writing something—but like a book. I’m going for pure indulgence here, writing for me, to play with things I like and try stuff, all the fun things.

It’s one of the many ding-dang things I’m doing, of course, I’m always doing something even if it’s “just” reading. Plus work and life and the things around that. So there isn’t that much time to devote to putting words onto the proverbial page (unlike most longer stuff I’ve written this isn’t being written by hand first! another fun experiment made possible thanks to how enjoyable Ellipsus is to use). What I can (mostly) guarantee myself is about ten minutes a day. Often well at the end of my day, in the space between other projects and getting-ready-for-bed activities.

It’s not much! But it’s something. And some days I get more, or I get in a groove. Some days I skip or I’m just putting in outlining structure or looking things up. But it all counts.

Screenshot of a simple spreadsheet with columns "Date," "Words Added," and "Notes." A total sum reads 43,880. The rows shown are mostly daily in the end of January then the next dates are in May, with "back in the saddle" in the notes.
This is but one tab in a document that is frankly, ridiculous because I can’t not be who I am about structure.

Because this project is being written across a bunch of different sub-documents, I am keeping a separate log for the word count, because it’s nice to see a bigger number and also: spreadsheet. By the time 2026 started I had about 25k words in, which is not bad! I’m now at some 43k, which is also not bad, considering that it’s all in so many small pieces.

Let’s have some numbers.

  • On average I get about 316 words a session, that’s not bad!
  • The minimum I’ve written a session is 80 words, which I will note is appended with the note “so sleeply” [sic]
  • The maximum I’ve written a session is 1213 words, which is quite nice!!

Anyway, the point of this all is that a little bit at a time still is a viable way to approach something. I’ve written 18k words on this story since the start of the year and that’s pretty cool! That’s 18k more words than if I hadn’t been trying to put at least 10 minutes a day in as I could. It’s easy to say “but if you’d never skipped a day there would be more words,” or “if you commited to longer you’d have more words,” but like? If I had done that then I wouldn’t have necessarily done other things I’ve enjoyed this year.

I’m meeting myself where I am and it’s going fine.

←
→
There are no comments on this entry. (Reply.)

October

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
        1
 
2
 
3
 
4 5
 
6 7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11 12
 
13 14
 
15
 
16
 
17
18 19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31